Panzanella Tuscan Bread Salad
Tuscan bread salad, also known as Panzanella, is an Italian classic. It is a great way to put old bread to use. High quality oil and vinegar are a necessity in this dish since they soak up into the bread and compliment the veggies. Use it as an appetizer salad or a side dish to a light summery dish as it will compliment your meal.
The trick is to use high quality extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Go for a homemade fresh bread with little to no salt, as the flavor will come from the oil and vinegar it soaks up. However, the bread can be slightly old and hard, as this dish will rejuvenate it into something new. The longer this dish is left to settle, the better it gets. The flavors will continue to infuse and improve the flavor.
- 1 Baguette
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Pepper
- 1/2 English Cucumber seeds removed
- 1/2 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 6 basil leaves chiffonade cut
- 1/4 cup Series 7 Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Frantoia Italian or Caramelized Garlic)
- 1-2 tsp Sea Salt (Roasted Garlic or Rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper fresh ground